Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ever Heard of Eternal Sonata

Ok, so I am generally uninterested in JRPGs. Final Fantasy is the closest I'll get and I haven't played an FF for at least a couple years (I may have glanced at 6, but that is only because we had a love child together and it is behind on paying its child support).

All this said, when I watched this episode of Unskippable, I had to ask, what the crap could this game possibly be about. The game in question is a little something called Eternal Sonata.

Now let me preface any further statements with, I am 95% sure that I will never play this game. The opening scenes displayed in Unskippable look like they redefine slow-pacing in a way that would leave Kurosawa antsy and restless. The majority of the 9:00 minute trailer is a description of some little seaside village and a pervasive species of wildflower that fills it. This said, when I went to read what the hell this slow ass game could possibly be about, I was blown away.

Here is my short description based on the short description in the Eternal Sonata Wikipedia article. At age 39 Frederic Chopin, the composer is dying. Within his fevered dreams, he creates a peaceful world for himself to live in. The entire game exists between Chopin beginning to die and entering the dream state and his death. The world is highly musical, with each chapter of the game being named after a Chopin composition. Death and disease are also major themes. In fact, the ability to use magic in this story is a sign of some terrible disease that people are ostracized for having...

I dunno about you guys, but this just sounds impressively awesome to me, especially for a video game. Its too bad its an RPG though. The artistic concept seems as if it could be ruined by me grinding for two hours to get a new pair of boots. If anyone ever plays it, tell me how it is.

No comments: