Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ibn Doom and the Edge of Eternity

So APB is getting right up on release (June 29th, for pre-orders June 26th) and the beta NDA has been lessened/dropped. Some unpleasantries have happened, well, just 1: the game will have a $10 per month subscription fee for access to the action district (the social/customization area is free, but you have to play missions to unlock customization content so really just the social district is free). The game is still fun though and the changes they are proposing to the various systems for release sound really good.

I am not excited about going against my previous personal decision not to pay monthly fees, but fine. I guess if I cut out buying the occasional package of junk-food, $10 won't make any real difference to my monthly expenses.

Well anyway, you'll have to forgive my complaining. I actually decided to post in promotion of the game, or more specifically, in promotion of the crazy customization system. As you guys have seen, I have been wildly excited about this game and that led to tons of sketches like this where I was planning out my look:



Now, normally, everyone would see a plan like this and say, "come on Cyrus, that's cool and all, but do you really think that a video game's customization will let you do even 1/10th of that." I probably would have admitted defeat before, but not fucking now:







I have been able to make literally every tattoo I planned to do (I didn't unlock all the symbols so there were some I didn't finish during beta). Customization is utterly ridiculous. I am impressed with what I have been allowed to do, but some of the stuff I have seen is utterly mind blowing. The following designs are all done from scratch:









And howabout a couple familiar faces:







So yeah, this may not be enough to convince those of you with more iron clad bans against monthly subscriptions than I have, but certainly, APB has lived up to its claims about customization. Combat has its holes but its fun and hopefully it is getting better. I feel good about the game and I hope you gents will think about joining Fabe and I in-game.

No comments: