Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Take a Deep Breath

Well, APB is nearing completion so I will soon go from hype mode to "you've gotta buy this game" mode. Mind you, there is the huge let down: they said "no required subscriptions and no microtransactions." What that really meant was "free access to the social district and customizers (with purchase of the game) but yes to required subscriptions to access the action district (i.e. where you actually play the game/unlock 95% of the customization content) and yes to microtransactions if you want to send a friend anything." Ugh, their business model is total bullshit, but they got really quiet after the community at large took a flaming shit on the announcement. Even the beta community flipped and a huge number of players disappeared from the forums and the servers (and the beta community is supposed to be composed of players they have "in the bag"). I am still holding out hope that Real Time Worlds won't be total dick masters, but I'm also realistic. Change probably won't happen for months after release if change happens at all. Oh well. Life continues.

And so, moving on, I can't possibly let you guys get away without me hyping up yet another game. Man, I have a bad track record for my games right now. Stalker -- complete let down. Spore -- interesting but not what I hoped for. APB -- awesome game but the company just lied their asses off about the business model. So here's the next in my failure train: Guild Wars 2.

A couple of us have played the original GW. I dug it for being sort of MMOish while having an unusual and exciting combat system (somewhere between real time FF tactics and collectible card games). Well the second game purports to be even more MMOey, more immersive storywise (which the first one was insanely groundbreaking for in terms of creating an ongoing storyline in an MMO), more interesting mission and group dynamics, still no monthly fees, blah de blah de blah.

Rather than me tell you about it, just check out what the designers are saying themselve: here

Now, having read that article, their goals are literally flying up in outer space right now, possibly attempting to collect one of each color of power ring. It's totally insane. And while I, for the sake of my own sanity, expect that they can't possibly live up to all of their plans, if even some of these elements make it into the final game, then it will make for a really solid game. GW was great, so, hopefully GW2 will be even better.

Okies, that's it for now. Expect to hear from me around the beginning of July when APB drops. Oh and Fabe is having a bar mitzvah or a wedding or something around then too. I'm sure we'll talk about that at some point as well :D. Alright gents. Talk to you soon.

No comments: