Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Most Curious Piece

This is a relatively long news piece about schooling in Japan. I suggest that you watch it first before your read any of my comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XX30-Ez8xg

I personally am very on the fence about the overall message. I thought some good points were made about the level of schooling intensity and the treatment of difference but at the same time, the authors of this were leaning extremely heavily on the "we civilized Westerners" ideology. It didn't provide too much credibility that all of the music was from Akira (speaking of which, I gotta lend you those books). I dunno, its sad to see a system which seems to support bullying the odd man out but then again I'm not sure that American schools do any better at discouraging that. Plus the video only looked at two schools which it sort of forced into parallelism. Overall, like I said, I get mixed feelings about this video. Some interesting points of view and overall I am glad I watched it, but also, a very shaky credibility to it all. What are your thoughts?

No comments: