Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mushroom Woes

Seeing as its about to be Thanksgiving and, unlike some people, (who don't like bacon, or cheesecake, or the joy in the eyes of children whose lives are untainted by random bouts of cursing) I am going to do the regular type thing and spend the day with my family. On top of this I have taken it upon myself to do the cooking. So, as would make sense, after volunteering, I went and scoured the internet, i.e. searched on Google, for any possible recipes to make up for my massive lack of turkey knowledge. In short, I found a good-sounding recipe on Food Network's site and I have commenced to gather the ingredients. And this is what brings me to the utter madness which I have just come upon. Are you aware that dried mushrooms, while a seemingly simple ingredient, swing in at the obscene price of $44 per pound. Mind you, the ones I could find were made from shitakes which are already $11 per pound, but still. A 300% increase in price seems a little high for somebody sticking something in an oven for a while. Especially something which started off as horse shit. All of this said, I have no choice but to dry my own damn mushrooms which I imagine can only turn out swimmingly. I call it Operation: This Can't Possibly Fail, named after the strategem adopted by Cyrus and the Canada Bunch for video gaming, which they in turn stole from South Park. Rumble dumble sports team, I'm out.

No comments: